Tuesday, January 1, 2013

STEAM PUNK (SORTA) CLOCK

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I thought it appropriate to have a post centered on time for New Year's day!

This started out as an idea to make a wall clock for my son using the robot/steam punk theme.  It morphed into something I really love and want to use in my living room.  My son will have to wait for a new clock....or maybe a trip to target to buy one.







I had a cigar box that I bought at a flea market which was used for the base.  Paper mache boxes were used for the top portion.  I used only the deep parts of the boxes and left the back open because the lids interfered with the stacking of the rounds. So, ignore the painted lid in the picture.    They were painted with two coats of a dark brown craft paint.

I wrapped the edges of the circles, covered the front and base with some scrapbook paper from Simple Stories  Documented collection.  
The decorative elements on the box are Spellbinders dies cut from brown card stock.

To make a little shelf to hold some tiny Tim Holtz bottles was made using another die.  I cut one of paper and one of grunge paper.  I  trimmed off the top and glued the two together.I folded the edges to form a little shelf with the center of the die.
This was attached to the medium circle.
I made the gears for the front of the clock using Sprightly Sprockets die, also from Spellbinders and grunge paper from Tim Holtz.  The far left is the raw grunge paper. They were then painted dark brown and then covered with some bronze metallic paint.
And finally dabbed with some pewter metallic paint.
The clock was purchased at JoAnns and was really simple to put together once I realized the little washer parts were attached to the clock and not lost....doh.  I added so Tim holz feet thingies to the bottom of the base to lift it up.
This is one of my favorite projects that I have made.  You know how things don't always turn out how you envision them?  That happens to me a lot! Well, this turned out better than I had thought and that is so rare that I can't wait to put it in my living room and enjoy it.  I just have to finish another project in order to have something on which to put it.

I wish you all the best for a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year! I am entering this in the monthly DIY PROJECT PARTY

1 comment:

kanatanewf said...

All I can say is "wow"....